Walter Johnson Funeral Home
The Walter Johnson Funeral Home was the first funeral home established in Clark. The funeral home occupies the grounds of the former Brewer Farm. Mr. Johnson opened the funeral home in April of 1966. Prior to opening the funeral home, Mr. Johnson served in the Marine Corp. during the Korean War. He was the recipient of two Purple Hearts and a Bronze Star. He attended St. Peter’s College before graduating from the McAllister School of Embalming in Manhattan. He was a member and Past President of the Kiwanis Club in Clark and a member of the Holy Name Society of St. Agnes Church in Clark. Steven and Lynette Perlmutter were personal friends of the Johnson Family throughout the years. When Mr. Johnson decided to retire, he asked if they would be interested in purchasing the funeral home. On July 25, 1997, Steven and Lynette purchased the funeral home. Mr. Johnson continued to be a presence at the Funeral Home until he passed away suddenly on January 7, 2003. Since the Perlmutter’s have purchased the funeral home, they added an addition to the front building for a new chapel in 2000 and a new entrance with a handicap ramp in 2010. The Perlmutter Family, which now includes their son Matthew, has continued to provide a personal commitment to each family they serve. Being family owned and family operated, a member of their family is there to guide each family through this difficult time. They are committed to provide the most courteous and professional service to those who choose their services. Each family they meet is treated like they are a member of their own family.
Werson Funeral Home
Werson Funeral Home originally was established as the “Patrick Funeral Home” in 1937. William G. Werson joined Edward Patrick as a partner in 1954. Upon Mr. Patrick’s retirement, Mr. Werson became the owner. Mr. Werson reconstructed a new building and changed the name to Werson Funeral Home. Prior to the funeral home, Mr. Werson was a veteran of World War II, serving in the South Pacific as a Staff Sergeant in the Army Air Corps. William G.Werson (late 2012) and Anne P. Poplawsky Werson (late 2016) were married for 64 years and lived over the funeral until their passing. They had two daughters Juli and Mari Anne. They were members of the Reformed Church of Linden. Mr. Werson operated the funeral home until his own retirement in 1980. Since 1980, William’s daughter Juli Werson Sikora and her husband Joseph J. Sikora, both licensed Funeral Directors, operated the “Werson Funeral Home”. When The Sikora’s decided to retire, they asked The Perlmutter’s if they would be interested in purchasing the funeral home. On March 15, 2018, Steven and Lynette purchased the funeral home from the Sikora family.
Sullivan Funeral Home
Mr. Thomas Sullivan opened the funeral home in 1967. Prior to opening the funeral home, He served in the Army Air Corps during World War II, a Waist Gunner on a B29. After the war Mr. Sullivan completed his education in Mortuary Science and work at several funeral homes in Elizabeth before deciding to open his own in 1967. He lived in Roselle for many years and operated the Thomas Sullivan Funeral Home and was the County Coroner until 1981. In 1981, Steven N. Perlmutter purchased the funeral home and changed the name to Sullivan Funeral Home.